Thursday, August 13, 2009

The Cleft

This is my first Doris Lessing book, even though she has been on my reading list for a long time now.

It took me a while to get through the book. It is a bit difficult. Reading a difficult book with a two-month-old on hand isn't the smartest thing to do. But at least it was a girl baby :) If you want an explanation for the statement, read the book. Wiki has a rather flimsy plot summary here, if you are too lazy. But I won't suggest it.

The book tells us what we already know about the gender differences, in a very interesting manner. But the reinforcement is quite forceful. It left me despondent. I am quite an optimist; to the extent that I do believe that men and women will be on the same page in life at some point. If not in my lifetime, sometime in the future.

But The Cleft kinda shattered my hopes.

I suddenly realised something. I probably knew it all along but never had put it in words. See women have evolved, most men haven't. They've just replaced hunting games with car racing or WWE matches. So naturally there are bound to be differences. Big differences. But nothing can be done. Not as yet.

Quite a depressing thought huh?

So to get over that I've got myself some light reading.

No comments: