Monday, January 5, 2009

My Forbidden Face

I am reading more books than I can review them. I am doing quick recap here so that I don't forget them.

My forbidden face Growing up under the Taliban, a young woman's story - Latifa. The book sent shivers down my spine. What will I do If I get caught in something like this? Latifas only 16 when Taliban took over the country, she lived with the ridiculous decrees! I mean they banned any man from selling women's under garments and women were not allowed to step out of the house or work in anyway. what the hell was that? How can any religion preach something like that?

The Taliban are apparently taught in the "Deobandi" school of thought. And Deobandi the author says "is an orthodox strain of Islam that preaches purification from all foreign influence and is an exteremley narrow reading of the Koranic message." But what was shocking to me was the fact that this school of thought orginated in UP, India in the 19th century and was "upheld by the British who wanted a religious power that could provide a counter-force to Hinduism is"!

I am still coming to terms with this discovery. Reading the book has suddenly made me aware of the opportunities I am letting go off. I mean women like Latifa didn't have them, how can I waste them?

No comments: