Thursday, August 14, 2008

Wuthering Heights

I didn't start reading English literature with the classics, as it is usually done. I started off with Sidney Sheldon and worked my way back. So my classics reading is still in the early stages.

I just finished reading Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights. Apparently this is her only novel (my source is Wikipidea on this of course)

I loved the book but at the same time it scared me. I love it because of it's literary quality - the way it is written, the language (at times very hard to follow) and the honesty with which the emotions have been portrayed. What amazes me is that though this is written by a woman, there's little bias. The book shows the dark side of both men and women. The book exposes the naivete that all human beings possess when they are younger and how when that is taken advantage of, can unveil the darker side just as easily.

The book scared me because of the depths one can fall into in hatred. Heathcliff, the central character schemes and plots all his life to destroy anyone and everyone who came in the way of his love. Even the one he loves. The madness lasts nearly 30 years!

There's innocence, there's love, there's cowardice, there's vengeance that chills and of course there is a very happy ending.

However at the end of the book, I felt a bit let down that Heathcliff, didn't exactly suffer for all his doings. I know what happened to him in the book is what would happen to anyone like him in real life; just because he didn't suffer physically doesn't mean he didn't suffer at all. I guess I am conditioned by seeing villains meeting horrible ends the in Bollywood films and indeed our mythological stories.

I loved the book despite that.

My rating 4 on 5

PS: I have added Ellen 'Nelly' Dean from Wuthering Heights to my list of favourite literary characters.

2 comments:

Whizkid said...

I read WH in school. I still have a vague idea of the plot, but the chill of the Yorkshire moors has never left me. Much later i came across Emily Bronte's poem, and almost tore my hair out.

"i am the only being whose doom
no tongue would ask, o eye would mourn;
i never caused a thought of gloom,
A smile of joy, since i was born."

The woman!!

mandrake said...

I swear :) That woman was something!