Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Starting Something

I have never read a company story before. Didn't think I'd find it interesting. But since last September my opinions about a lot of things have changed and this one's one of them. My FIL recommended this book to me.

The book is interesting at so many levels but what appealed to me was the people aspect of it. The book doesn't tell you how to start a company, or how to do a business presentation in detail. Instead the author Wayne McVicker tells you exactly how bad it can get! How poor you can be before you strike it rich and how extraordinary efforts go into not to make you rich. That sounds depressing but it isn't. Wayne tells the story of this company Neoforma that he starts with his friend Jeff, right from the day one from the idea to the big IPO day. The book talks about trusting your instincts, the difference between doing what is supposed to be right and what feels right. The book also talks about letting go. The founders eventually move out of the company they helped create, because the company didn't need them and they didn't need the company.

The biggest take away for me was the importance of building the right culture. Something that I've always believed in. The right idea, right amount of dedication and a great culture can take the company a long distance. Heck these guys bought their own dream houses with it :)

My rating 3 on 5

No comments: