Friday, October 10, 2008

The Fabulous Girl's guide to Decorum

I thought for a very long time about admitting it in public that I have read this book. No there's nothing wrong with the book. Just that people who know me would be surprised about the choice :) I wanted to read something silly but couldn't bring myself to pick up an M&B. I barely managed to read 2 of them when I was 15 and anyway Chick-Lit was a subject that was being talked about...

It is a very practical guide book for those who want to be well what else, fabulous girls. I finished the book in about 3/4 of a day. Not because it was unputdownable but because I didn't find many things in the book worth my time. The book gives gyan on everything from how to handle workplace situations (like biding your time till you get the right job to office romances), How to behave at book launches, movie premieres, funerals, shopping, handling friendships, sex, being couples, weddings and divorces and how to decorate your homes. It is largely in European and American context so most of it doesn't make sense here. I really don't know if "you wanna come over for a cup of coffee" means "wanna have sex" to a larger section of Indians yet.

But it was a fun read nevertheless. It might be helpful guide to young women who are stuck in a rut and have no clue how to get out. I am thinking a book like this in an Indian context (that is well written) will sell really well. And may be the publishers can think about bringing out similar things in regional languages as well. Just because one doesn't know the queen's language doesn't mean one doesn't want to be a fabulous girl isn't it?

My rating 2.5 on 5

No comments: