Tuesday, July 29, 2008

In the Company of Cheerful Ladies

I was introduced to Mma Precious Ramotswe this February by Sav. And what a joy it has been to know this delightful detective created by Alexander McCall Smith.

Mma Ramotswe is the finest private detective in all of Botswana and the series chronicle her experiences as a woman, as a detective and as an African. The most delightful part is that the books portray such simple emotions, deal with everyday dilemmas and all from a woman's point of view. The story could be set in Botswana but wouldn't be very different if it was set in India.

The book I just finished is "In the company of cheerful ladies" The book talks about Mma Ramotswe and Mma Makutsi's own personal tribulations and triumphs in very a charming way. Be it Ramotswe having to face her old fear of her ex husband Note Mokoti or Mma Makutsi joining the dance classes to widen her social circle (read meet the man of her dreams). It is also beautifully woven that you experience the same emotions as those women.

I love the fact there are little things that mean a lot to them, like how Mma Makutsi one day very hesitatingly declares that she prefers regular tea over bushtea. That she's so besotted with her lovely china tea pot. Or the fact that she loves shoes and the first thing she thinks of buying with her bonus is a pair of red shoes with big bright buckles. I love the chapter where Mma Ramotswe and Mma Potokwani confess to each other about not being able to fight temptation especially when it comes to fruit cakes and have more of it.

I can completely relate to Mma Ramotswe's feelings about changing Botswana. About the changes that come along the society with prosperity...nicety that is the first victim of growing economy.

And oh I love the cover of the books. So bright, happy and very african :)

My rating: 4 on 5

2 comments:

Kannan said...

Great to see your new post. Have you read all books in the series? Expect for the last one, 'Miracles At the Zebra Crossroads,' I have read all. Though it is wonderful reading, I found it difficult to read the whole series at a stretch. Somewhere, I think, the style was getting repetitive.

Abhipraya said...

Nope I haven't read all. I too suspect that if I read it at one go, it might get tedious. So I am going slow.